Thursday, December 31, 2009

Prudence - Part One

Hers was a narrow world.  Of scrubbed pots and polished cutlery.  Hands red and raw. Or that is to say, it had been.  What a strange thing to be unemployed?

Once accepted, a job was for life. How does a person organise themself?  She'd never really had to make decisions before.  Just do what she was told, when she was told.  Quietly without fuss.  And try and keep her hair neat under her cap.  Bits were always coming loose.  Cook had threatened to shave it once.  Cook said she'd never progress upstairs the state she was in.

Her employer had died and the heir was not interested in keeping the properties.  He resided on some foreign Island, cook had said, and did not wish to be bothered with the upkeep of houses he would never see.

The new owners already had many of their own servants.

How does one go on? She was not twelve anymore to be picked at an apprentice fair.  The governor of the orphanage had organised placement for her originally.

Freedom feels strange. Paritcularly considering her options seemed to mostly be freedom to starve and be homeless once her wages ran out.

Well, Prudie decided, I shall not be like John Coashman and drive about for ages o'cause I won't ask for directions.  She straightened her skirt and resolute went downstairs to ask her landlady what she thought she should do.

1 comment:

Adamant Equipoise said...

I do not ask for directions anymore. Each time I asked, I was in fact given directions, but given my nature I could not help but ask my director, "Why that way? Is it faster? Scenic? Enlightening?" None of the questions were answered.

My current mindset enjoys the idea of driving aimlessly. In doing so, I very well may encounter a new path that is far faster, more scenic, and most importantly... more enlightening.

As much as it may seem, this does not mean that I shun the paths of others. After all, in time I may very well realize that the path I stumble upon is in fact synonymous with the one my director presented. If that is the case, at least one day I will be able to tell some lost soul WHY the path was taken.